The Holidays are in full swing… and while the strands of lights, wreaths and decoration exude the warm feeling of Holiday cheer, the ginger bread houses, stuffing, breads, and winter ales can make the festive gatherings a very un-merry time for those with gluten sensitivities and celiac.
We don’t want any of our fans left out in the cold. Below are some excellent gluten-free holiday suggestions to compliment an ice cold glass of New Planet Beer.
Pumpkin potato gratin & mushroom swiss chard from Chef Joseph George
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 16oz. can pumpkin puree
- 8 peeled potatoes
- 1 T. nutmeg mixed with 1 T. cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound grated parmesan Reggiano
Grease a 9×13 baking pan. In a small container, mix pumpkin puree, cream and cinnamon mixture. On a mandolin, slice potatoes very thin, layer potato, cream mixture, salt and pepper then parmesan. Continue again until pan is full to the top. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes (or until soft all the way through), bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes until golden brown. Let rest at room temperature for 15 minutes before cutting.
Mushroom Braised Swiss Chard
- 8 stalks Swiss chard – julienned
- 4 pints button mushrooms – sliced
- 3 peeled shallots – diced
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 head garlic cut in half
- Salt and pepper
- 12 oz. white wine
- ½ pound butter
- Juice of 2 lemons
In a medium rondo pan, place mushrooms, shallots, thyme, garlic, wine, butter and lemon cook on medium heat covered for approx. 15 minutes. The mushrooms should release a good amount of liquid, at this time, add the Swiss chard and simmer for 5-7 minutes covered. Strain and serve.
Cut potato gratin into squares, place over braised Swiss chard/mushroom mixture. Garnish with fried onions, shaved Reggiano or fresh vegetables.
Recipe provided by: My Kids Eat Squid
Gluten Free Gingersnap Cookies from Gluten-Free Goddess
Ingredients: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 1 cup sorghum flour (also called jowar flour)
- 1 cup tapioca starch/flour
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Hazelnut Flour or Almond Flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- 1/2 cup Spectrum Organic Shortening
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
Use a whisk attachment or pastry cutter to cut in the shortening and molasses. The mixture will be sandy and crumbly.
- Add in one tablespoon at a time: 4 tablespoons coconut milk
Bake in the center of a preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
Repeat the process for the remaining cookie dough.
Makes 3 to 4 dozen cookies, depending upon the size of the cut-outs.
Recipe provided by: Gluten Free Goddess
Enjoy and Happy Holidays from New Planet Beer!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!