Tailgating…Gluten-Free & Simple Ideas From The Gluten Free Bistro
Tailgating is one of the quintessential components of seeing a football game. I love the camaraderie of all the people being excited for the same event. Being a gluten-free eater, I always seek simple ideas for tailgating and entertaining, because, let’s face it, navigating gluten-free in a sea of gluten can be complicated. Here are some of my go-to entertaining recipes that are crowd pleasers for all. All of these can be made in advance.
Fabulous 5 Ingredient Guacamole:
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, fine chop
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped [save 1 T for garnish at the end]
- 1 jalapeno, minced
Directions: If you have a grill going, it is a nice touch to char the jalapeno. This adds a nice dimension to the guacamole. Put all of the ingredients in a bowl, or a molcajete if you have one, mash together with a fork. You can also make this in advance, and place the avocado seeds in the guacamole after you have mixed it. This keeps the guacamole from browning while it waits for the party. Can be served with corn chips, carrot chips, and a New Planet Treading Lightly Ale.
Caprese & Salumi:
These 2 appetizers are always a hit, and a perfect match with New Planet’s 3R Raspberry Ale.
Caprese: What you will need: toothpicks, cherub tomatoes, fresh basil, small mozzerella [cinigilli], finish with olive oil, salt and pepper at the tailgate.
Salumi: What you will need: toothpicks, gluten-free salami & jarlsburg cheese [both in ½ inch cubes]
Directions: All you have to do is stack the ingredients on a toothpick, a great finger food.
Prosciutto Fontina Pizza: What you will need: The Gluten Free Bistro’s Gourmet Pizza Crust, prosciutto, fontina cheese, arugula, juice of 1 lemon, olive oil. This recipe is an interpretation of one of my favorite pizzas served at Radda Trattoria, Boulder, CO.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Spread olive oil evenly on pizza crust
- Add prosciutto and fontina
- Bake for 14 minutes in oven at home, do not cut into pieces yet
- Bring to the tailgate: arugula, lemon juice & olive oil plus a pizza cutter and cutting board
- This pizza can be served at room temperature or reheated at the tailgate on a grill
- Mix arugula, lemon juice and olive just before serving, add on top
- Cut and serve with New Planet’s 3R Raspberry Ale
Peppered Turkey with Baby Swiss Panini: What you will need: The Gluten Free Bistro’s Gourmet Pizza Crust, peppered thinly sliced turkey, baby swiss, pepperdews, banana peppers, mustard.
- Pre heat Panini press on medium heat. If you do not have a panini press, 2 pans will do
- Slice The Gluten Free Bistro’s Gourmet Pizza Crust in half
- Spread mustard on the pizza crust
- Layer on the bottom half of the pizza crust: baby swiss, then turkey, chopped pepperdews and banana peppers, then baby swiss again. Top with half pizza crust
- Place panini in pan and press until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat
- If serving a room temperature at the tailgate, cut into small slices
- If reheating on the grill at the tailgate, leave as one large sandwich and cut after reheating
- Serve with New Planet’s Treading Lightly Ale
Chocolate Chip Cookies:
This recipe you can prepare a couple of weeks in advance and place the dough in the freezer [see slice and bake instructions]. Slice and bake the cookies the day of for fresh cookies.
Adapted from http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/specialty/nth-detail-occc.aspx high altitude instructions
- 2 1/2 cups Bistro Blend Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour ™
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1 cup chopped nuts
Directions: PREHEAT oven to 350° F.
COMBINE flour, baking soda, water, and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. BAKE for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
SLICE AND BAKE COOKIE VARIATION: PREPARE dough as above. Divide in half; wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Shape each half into 15-inch log; wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.* Preheat oven to 350° F. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies. *May be stored in refrigerator for up to 1 week or in freezer for up to 8 weeks.
To purchase The Gluten Free Bistro’s products, you can order on line at: www.theglutenfreebristro.com
Order by Monday for a Saturday game
Kelly & The Gluten Free Bistro Team
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!