Football has seemingly taken over the television, and beer, generally in large quantities, is the ideal drink of choice. While many of you are now aware of New Planet Gluten-Free Beer, you may still be searching for that perfect game time snack to compliment your delicious, gluten-free brew.
Of course there are corn chips. While most are gluten-free, not all are, so it is best to read the labels. The full line of salsas and corn chips from Green Mountain Gringo are gluten-free and are absolutely delicious.
But halftime calls for more than just chips and salsa. We’ll be posting a series of gluten-free snacks to go with your ice cold Tread Lightly Ale throughout the football season. Here is the first one to add to your mix – Artichoke and Roasted-Pepper Dip.
Artichoke and Roasted-Pepper Dip
You’ll have some dip left over for impromptu entertaining–try it with raw vegetables, pita chips, or plain crackers. It also makes a delicious sandwich spread.
Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 1 artichoke and 1/3 cup dip)
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 artichokes (1 pound)
- 12 cups water
- 3 lemon slices
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried fines herbes
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon capers
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, discarding seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil for 10 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 20 minutes. Peel and set aside.
- Cut off artichoke stems, and remove bottom leaves. Trim about 1 inch from tops of artichokes. Bring water, lemon slices, and bay leaf to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Add artichokes; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until a leaf near the center of each artichoke pulls out easily. Drain well; discard lemon and bay leaf. Set aside.
- Combine bell peppers, oil, mustard, and vinegar in a blender; process until smooth. Combine bell pepper mixture, fines herbs, and black pepper. Spoon 2/3 cup into a serving bowl; sprinkle with feta and capers. Serve with artichokes. Cover and chill remaining dip.
Leslie Revsin, Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2000
Yummy. I’d like some now!